Hippogryphs are mysterious alpine flying carnivores that can be tamed and ridden.
Hippogryphs are creatures with the body, tail, and back legs of a horse, the head and wings of an eagle, and eagle's talons as its front feet. They come in 7 different colors, all of which are based on the color patterns of different real-life birds (and are talked about below, as well as showcased in the gallery).
Hippogryphs often spawn in mountains and some of the most common hill biomes.
The colors of the hippogryph and the biomes in which each color can be found include the following:
- Black (Bagatelle Eagle): Found in Desert Hills and similar biomes.
- Chestnut (Red Kite): Found in Birch Forest Hills and similar biomes.
- Dark Brown (Bald Eagle): Found in Taiga Hills and similar biomes.
- White (Gyrfalcon): Found in Snowy Mountains and similar biomes.
- Brown (Golden Eagle): Found in Mountains and similar biomes.
- Creamy (Kestrel): Found in Savanna Plateaus and similar biomes.
- Grey (Goshawk): Found in Dark Forest Hills and similar biomes.
- Hippododo: Giving a tamed hippogryph a glistering melon will turn it into a secret easter egg skin resulting in somewhat of a dodo skinned hippogryph.
- 0-5 feathers upon death.
- 0-5 pieces of leather upon death.
- 1 hippogryph egg after being bred with another hippogryph.
- 1 hippogryph talon upon death (2.5% chance).
- 1 hippogryph skull upon death (2.5% chance).
Hippogryphs are generally neutral, and will usually not attack players unless provoked. However, true to their predatory nature, they will target and attack players once hungry; as well as this, they will attack farm animals and other passive mobs. When attacking, hippogryphs will usually take a bite out of their prey with their hooked beak, dealing 2.5 hearts (5 HP) of damage with each bite; however, they are also known to rear up to deliver a deadly kick with their powerful talons, inflicting heavy knockback upon their quarry.
Unlike most other mobs in the mod, hippogryphs will slowly regenerate health.
Hippogryphs can be tamed with rabbit feet. To tame a hippogryph, all one has to do is drop 3-7 rabbit feet near it, and it will eat the treats and begin to tame by itself; however, if a hippogryph is found flying in the air, it is recommended to practice patience and keep track of the hippogryph until it lands. Once the beast is tamed, it will sit down. Domesticated hippogryphs can be saddled, carry chests, and be equipped with armor. Along with this, they can be made to wander or sit by interacting with them while holding a stick; however, note that when ordered to roam, they can still fly at will. Fortunately, however, a dragon bone flute can be used to order any hippogryph to land. In addition to this, domesticated hippogryphs attack mobs and players who attack their owner, and any domesticated hippogryph that is flying midair and not sitting will drop to the ground and start attacking the mob or the hostile player.
Sneaking while interacting with a hippogryph with a stick or a Dragon Command Staff will set a home position where it is currently at, and it will not go far away from that position. The home position can be removed by sneaking while using the Dragon Command Staff again.
Two hippogryphs can be bred by feeding them rabbit stew. They are bred in the same manner as other vanilla animals; in this case, right-clicking each hippogryph with the rabbit stew will cause them to breed. Breeding the two hippogryphs will produce an egg.
Throwing the egg will hatch it into a baby hippogryph. It takes 1 day for a baby hippogryph to reach adulthood. Keep in mind that this egg will not spawn a domesticated Hippogryph, as it still needs to be tamed.
A hippogryph's inventory can be accessed via interacting with them while sneaking. A player can equip a chest which gives the hippogryph inventory storage, a saddle that makes it rideable, and finally, Hippogryph Armor that absorbs damage from most attacks.
Once a tamed adult hippogryph has been saddled; the player can mount the hippogryph by interacting with it with an empty hand. Like with any rideable mob, WASD controls are used. Spacebar makes the hippogryph rise if it is in the air; if held for over a second while it is on the ground, it makes the hippogryph start flying. X lowers the hippogryph, and Shift is used to dismount. G makes the hippogryph use either of its strike attacks, attacking the mob the player is currently looking at.
- Now spawns using Forge's Biome Dictionary rather than being restricted to hard-coded biomes, allowing for compatibility with Biomes O' Plenty and other biome mods.
- Can now be given a home position by shift-clicking with a stick or Dragon Staff.
- Now receives extra armor points when equipped with Hippogryph Armor.
- Animals and NPCs now flee from hippogryphs.
- Can now draw drops from a configurable loot table.
- Attacks now have more range.
- Tweaked flight mechanics (details are coming soon).
- Player-controlled flight has been reworked.
- Idle animations are now smoother.
- Now only requires 3-7 rabbit's feet to tame
| Passive Mobs|
Hippocampus • Pixie
Amphithere • Hippogryph
Cockatrice • Death Worm • Myrmex • Sea Serpent • Siren • Stymphalian Bird • Troll
Cyclops • Fire Dragon • Gorgon • Hydra • Ice Dragon
Automaton • Ghost • Goblin • Wendigo • Werewolf • Vampire
Lightning Dragon • Kraken
Dread Queen • Ifrit