Gorgons are horrifying fiends that lurk in coastal underground lairs and kill anything that looks at them with a petrifying gaze.
Gorgons are repulsive female humanoid monsters with the tail of a snake, the body of a woman, and hair made out of snakes. Their tail, along with the many snakes on their hair, are green in color, in comparison to their pale green skin; as well as this, they wear a light green shirt and brown garments.
Gorgons can be located deep down in Gorgon Temples, gigantic, Greek-style stone temples which spawn randomly in Beach biomes.
Gorgons will drop 1 gorgon head upon death.
If a gorgon is looking directly at a player and the player has their crosshair on her, her eyes start glowing, her mouth opens to reveal large fangs, the snakes on her head come to life, and she turns that player to stone; petrified players can be broken with a pickaxe, and yield 4-5 pieces of cobblestone once broken. A surprising thing to note about the gorgon is that she can also turn other mobs to stone, as long as she and her target are directly looking at each other. Wearing a blindfold will render a player immune to the gorgon's gaze; however, in response to this, the Gorgon will become more aggressive and start directly attacking that player, dealing 1 heart (2 HP) of damage and inflicting Poison III for 4 seconds.
The best way to take a gorgon on is to wear a blindfold, equip decent armor, use a powerful sword, and take her on; in addition to this, it is recommended that one should bring many buckets of milk, should they get poisoned by her attacks. Alternatively, one can take on the gorgon without a blindfold by simply looking down and hitting her tail; however, this is a riskier approach, as one misstep can lead to being petrified.
- Now rarer by default.
- Animals and NPCs now flee from gorgons.
- Added a config option for far gorgons can generate from a player's spawn point.
- Can now draw drops from a configurable loot table.
- Like dragons, gorgons also have unique death messages for killing the player, including 2 "mundane" death messages and 1 comical death message. When the player get's killed by the gorgon's petrifying stare, one of the following messages will display:
- "<playername> was turned to stone by a gorgon"
- "<playername> was turned into gorgonzola by a gorgon"
- "<playername> was solidified by a gorgon"