Cryona, the Dread Queen, is the tyrannical ice boss that rules over the Dreadlands with her skeletal ice dragon Black Frost and her army of undead servants. While she herself has not been added to the mod yet, her henchmen can occasionally be seen marching across the frozen wastes, killing everything they see.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Dread Queen is an undead humanoid creature with a blue pendant hanging over her dark blue-and-black tunic, black gauntlets and boots with grey-blue highlights, white shoulder pads, and a gaunt, grey face with glowing blue eyes peering out from her blue-white crowned helmet. She wields an icy sword with a light blue blade in one hand and an icy staff with a light blue head in the other.
The Dread Queen's ice dragon, Black Frost, is icy blue in color, and is partially decayed as an indication of her undead nature. Her neck has rotted to the bone, as have parts of her head, tail, and wings; as well as this, her wings are noticeably tattered, and her eyes glow a bright blue in color. She is covered in black armor plating.
In addition to this, she leads a diverse array of undead servants and minions, all of which have unique features:
- Liches are skeletal mages with tattered black robes and glowing blue eyes peering out from a skull-shaped mask covering their face; they wield icy staffs with skulls for heads. Apart from their base characteristics, their hoods and masks come in 5 different variants.
- Thralls are skeletons with glowing blue eyes; many of them wear black, partially weathered body armor and wield broken swords, but some of them wear nothing at all and wield only bones as weapons. Apart from their base characteristics, their chestplates come in 8 different variants.
- Ghouls are zombies with long pants, an emaciated torso with a noticeable spine and ribs, large, curved claws protruding from their fingertips, glowing blue eyes, and large, toothy mouths that gnash constantly. They come in 3 different colors: a grey ghoul with brown pants, a greenish-grey ghoul with black pants, and a light grey ghoul with brown pants.
- Beasts are undead wolf-like creatures with shaggy fur, decaying torsos with a partially exposed spine and ribs, rotting flesh around their beady, glowing blue eyes, and completely decayed, bony snouts with unexplainably intact nose pads. They come in 2 different colors: dark grey and light grey.
- Scuttlers are undead, spider-like arthropods that vaguely resemble a Myrmex; they have hard, chitinous armor, 3 pairs of walking legs, a moderate-sized thorax, a moderate-sized head with 10 glowing blue eyes and large raptorial appendages near the front of their mouth, and a large, bulbous, upwards-facing abdomen. They are dark blue in color, with a lighter blue skull patterning on their abdomen.
- Dread Knights are undead humanoids with dark blue tunics, black gauntlets and boots with grey-blue highlights, black body armor, and a gaunt, grey face with glowing blue eyes peering out from their helmet; as well as this, they wield swords with dark grey blades and white highlights, and they can be seen holding blue shields embroidered with a skull patterning. Apart from their base characteristics, their helmets come in 6 different variants.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
The Dread Queen and Black Frost are found in the Dreadlands, an icy dimension locked in perpetual darkness and accessed through a portal found in Mausoleums, gigantic dungeons made of Dreadstone which spawn randomly in Snowy Tundra biomes; however, since the Dreadlands are currently unused, the Dread Queen cannot be fought. Meanwhile, Liches, their minions, and Dread Knights can be found in Mausoleums and the former can also rarely be found walking through Snowy Tundra biomes at night, killing everything they see and turning them into minions.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Since neither the Dread Queen nor Black Frost have been implemented yet, it is unknown what exactly they will drop.
The Dread Queen's minions drop 0-2 Dread Shards upon death, along with some other minor drops (usually bones), depending on the type of minion they are:
- Liches drop 0-2 bones and 0-2 Dread Shards, and have a 10% chance of dropping a Gravemaster's Key. They can also drop their staff which can shoot icy orbs.
- Thralls drop 0-2 bones and 0-2 Dread Shards.
- Ghouls drop 0-2 bones, 0-2 pieces of rotten flesh, and 0-2 Dread Shards.
- Beasts drop 0-2 bones, 0-2 pieces of rotten flesh, and 0-2 Dread Shards.
- Scuttlers drop 0-1 pieces of rotten flesh and 0-1 spider eyes.
- Dread Knights drop 0-2 bones, 0-1 iron ingots, and 0-2 Dread Shards.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Since neither the Dread Queen nor Black Frost have been implemented yet, it is unknown how exactly they will behave. However, it is likely that they will be hostile towards any non-Dread mob that comes nearby, including players and living dragons; as well as this, they will likely be able to spot targets from 128 blocks away.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Servants[edit | edit source]
The Dread Queen has many different minions to fight for her, each with its own unique abilities:
Liches[edit | edit source]
Liches are powerful, undead necromancers that can raise the dead, and are the Dread Queen's main servant. When attacking, Liches will usually fire glowing blue skull-like projectiles at their targets; however, they are also known to summon minions, either by raising their arms and casting a summoning spell or by killing specific mobs. A Lich can summon up to a maximum of 5 minions with its summoning spell, and will otherwise rely on killing mobs in order to expand their patrols. Liches can summon the following minions:
- Thralls are weak, slow-moving skeletons that serve as the Liches' most basic combat unit, and spawn from skeletons killed by the Liches. Thralls are only capable of slowly towards their targets and striking at them with the bones in their hands, dealing 1 heart (2 HP) of damage with each strike; occasionally, they may wield broken swords, allowing them to deal 3 hearts (6 HP) of damage. Unlike regular skeletons, Thralls will not burn up when exposed to sunlight.
- Ghouls are fast-moving zombies that spawn from most humanoid creatures killed by the Liches. Ghouls will attack targets by sprinting towards them and swiping at them with their claws twice in a row, dealing 2.5 hearts (5 HP) with each swipe.
- Beasts are wolf-like monsters that spawn from most animals killed by the Liches. Beasts will attack targets by rapidly bounding towards them and taking a bite out of them, dealing 2 hearts (4 HP) of damage with each bite.
- Scuttlers are spider-like monsters that spawn from arthropods killed by the Liches. Scuttlers will attack targets by crawling towards them and biting them with their raptorial appendages, dealing 3.5 hearts (7 HP) with each bite; while attacking, they may also climb walls in order to reliably catch up to players.
Dread Knights[edit | edit source]
Dread Knights are heavily-armored undead knights that serve as the Liches' bodyguards. Dread Knights have a fighting style similar to that of a Thrall, walking towards their target and striking at them with their swords; however, they move at a slightly quicker pace than Thralls, and their pristine swords allow them to deal 9 hearts (18 HP) of damage with each strike, being capable of killing a player wearing iron armor in 2 or 3 hits. As well as this, they are known to mount armor-covered skeleton horses, which allow them to move much more quickly and erratically than they usually do; in fact, they will immediately mount said horses if they are nearby, causing them to become more dangerous in a matter of seconds.
Combat[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Introduced the Dread Servants and Mausoleums.
- Textures for the Dread Knight Horses have been updated.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Dread Queen was initially planned to be released in version 1.9.0, along with all her servants; however, due to burnout from massive amounts of coding work as well as harassment from other people, she was delayed for future updates, with the hydra being added in her place.
- The Dread servants can see targets through blocks, allowing them to target players and mobs hiding inside buildings.
- Strangely enough, the Dread servants will attack armor stands and other non-living entities; this allows the player to distract any Dread servants inside mausoleums while they sneak in safely.
- Horses are the only animals that do not turn into Beasts when killed by Liches; instead, they turn into the skeleton horses that the Dread Knights can mount.
- In addition, these skeleton horses are the only Dread servants that will never attack players or other mobs in any way, even when they are attacked themselves; this is because they share code with the skeleton horses from the base game.
- Ghouls, Beasts, and Scuttlers can vary in size, depending how big the slain mob they spawned from was.
- Thralls cannot vary in size; this is because they can only spawn from skeletons killed by Liches.
- Scuttlers are the only Dread servant to not drop bones or Dread Shards; while the former can be explained by the fact that they are arthropods, there is a bit of confusion surrounding the latter.
- Larger Beasts are not able to pathfind as well as the other Dread servants, often walking into walls when attempting to attack a target.
- Upon her reveal, the Dread Queen was originally known as Cryophex, the Dread King; however, when updating the Dread King's model, Raptorfarian, the official modeler for Ice and Fire, found that the textures for the new model gave off a more feminine vibe, and thus repurposed him into the Dread Queen.